April 8, 2007

Deep in the Heart of Texas

"The bluebonnet is to Texas what the shamrock is to Ireland, the cherry blossom to Japan, the lily to France, the rose to England and the tulip to Holland." Historian Jack McGuire

I am positive that the best time of year to visit Texas is in late March and early April. Especially when you are in the middle of nowhere and everywhere you want to go is a drive away. The roads are lines with wildflowers and longhorns. As a matter of fact, on the way to San Antonio, we had a two hour game of Count the Livestock. Jacob and I counted the left side of the road, and Dave counted the right side of the road. By the time we hit the suburbs of San Antonio, Jacob and I were ahead 614 to 308. The prize for winning was a stuffed armadillo, which Jacob promptly named Weasel Man. (weird kid, I know.) The photo below shows him with Dave in the lobby of the Hyatt Riverwalk.

I had to share another photo of the Riverwalk itself. This photo is deceptive, as the rest of the wakway was jam packed with people on Spring Break like us. I haven't been there since 1998, and never on the weekend. It seems one of my favorite places to visit has become a tourist boom.





And finally, a photo of Jacob with his Uncle Rob, back from Iraq and whom he has not seen in more than a year. We spent alot of our vacation time just hanging out and getting to know Michelle, my new sister-in-law, and just catching up. Rob will be leaving the Army in a few months, so of course we hope they settle somewhere a little more East!


We also managed to visit Salado and fill another day with miniature golf and video arcades. Salado was a small historic town, filled with little antique/gift shops and art galleries. Can you tell that I am not a golfer? I was trounced by both Dave and Jacob, even with them giving me a handicap at some of the holes. I am blaming it on the wind and chilly air.


I'll share some highlights of the Houston part of our trip sometime later this week. For now, I need to go start the ham. Happy Easter!



ps: the new banner uses Doodle elements from Jennifer Wellborn.

4 comments:

Dianne said...

AWESOME PICS! And look at that cute pic of you golfing!
Glad it was a great trip!

Anonymous said...

Jen, love the pictures. Dave looks so happy :) Sounds like you had a great time!

Anonymous said...

Looks like yall had a good time! Hope you liked the Houston part of the trip too!

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to visit San Antonio. What a nice place to spend your vacation.

Hope to see you soon!